Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stape portrait by Garin Baker

Here is a portrait of me done by Garin Baker at yesterdays quickdraw event in Cranford, New Jersey. He did it in two and a half hours as that was the time limit given us. I painted a seascape.
Thise is a real fine piece of work. You know how sometimes those baseball players point with their sticks to the bleachers to show where they are going to hit the ball? Garin did that. The night before, he asked me where I was going to be painting and if he could do my portrait. He said I had a peculiar stance and he thought he could get a great picture of me out working. I'd say he did.

To do this is a matter of no little talent, not many people can do this, especially on demand. He was really on the spot there, and I think he knocked it out of the park. It won a prize in the competition. Below is his picture from the opening last night. Sorry it's so grainy but there was very little light.


Garin is a professional painter from Newburg, New York. Here is a link to his website, and to his mural company and lastly to his Carriage House Atelier.
Go check him out, this is an enormously talented guy, and funny too. Born and raised in New York, he has the confident swagger of the urban denizen, even though he has moved a few miles up the Hudson. I have enjoyed meeting the artists at this event. I think that it is so important to get out and know all of the great folks in this field. I don't usually do plein air events, but I enjoyed this one a lot.

Below is a picture I made of a green house and farm store in Cranford. It is a 11 by 14. I almost never paint small, but I did on this trip. It makes me feel boxed in. I like the freedom of a big canvas, but it was a special; event so I painted little "peashooters" as my friend T.M. Nicholas likes to call them.

This afternoon I am driving home to New Hampshire. I am looking forward to going back to work finishing my Texas stuff.

30 comments:

Mary Byrom said...

Unbelievable ! What a great portrait! Love this guy ! He really captured you. A fast accurate painter for sure, his eye is and handling are right on. 5 stars - glad he won. Like the pea shooter! Looks like you had a good week too. And yes, they do make me feel boxed in too... welcome home.

Deborah Paris said...

Love it! The angle of your body and the opposing angle of the canvas set up an interesting composition. He really caught your gesture. That's a flowing mane you have Stape! This is way better than a baby animal.

billspaintingmn said...

Amazing! Garin Baker is cool!
His portrait of you is supurb. His web site is awsome.
You guys really have your stuff together.

I feel like a dandylion at a flower
show. :)

Celeste Bergin said...

This painting really drew by eye (from appearing on my sidebar). To me the genius part of the painting is not only the "peculiar"stance, but also the fact that you are ......smoking? are you smoking, or is that just something you chew on like a pencil? well, whatever it is, it LOOKS like you are smoking and these days that is so "politically incorrect"--it is flat out refreshing to see it in a painting! haha! Sorry to go on and on about it, but aside from how brilliantly it is painted, that makes the painting for me (and no, I am not a smoker).
The farm store is beautiful. Can't believe you think of 11 x 14 as too small..that's wild. It's a paintng that shows off your excellent drawing skills and color know how.

Lowell Douglas Holder said...

And what seems to be just the slightest grimace from the smoke. Terrific.

Kevin Mizner said...

You should have had a cigar, Stape! What I like is that he did a whole painting, with a back ground and everything. (Rather unusual these days...) What a great job!

barbara b. land of boz said...

Wow....such a small word to express how this portrait looks. I can see that he was able to capture the real Stapleton Kerns. Its as if you could walk right off the canvas.
Your "peashooter" has that look of times past. Great work for a short time limit. Post your seascape for us.

I bet your are ready for "home sweet home". Have a safe trip and looking forward to seeing more of your works from Texas. Thank you for the post.

Rae said...

Great portrait! You couldn't have had that cig if he did it in NYC! He really did capture your stance. The peashooter looks good. Enjoy being home!

James Gurney said...

Garin is fantastic. He got first place place in the townscape show here in Poughkeepsie this month. I painted with him on one rainy paintout in Millbrook when his French easel filled up with water, but he kept going.

And Stape, I bet you weren't holding still.

Ptolemy said...

No question, that's YOU! And a hearty AMEN to Ms. Paris's comment...

Anonymous said...

Love his work, and a seems a really nice guy too. Met him on Facebook last year and he had some nice insights on some things. I love technology and being exposed to so many of you.

stapeliad said...

That is an amazing painting!

Garin Baker said...

Thanks! Stape, It was great meeting you. A real highlight for the event. Looking forward to more exchanges down the line. Your insights truly hit the mark every time.
Yeah, Jim G., LOL... he was messin with me the whole time. Waiting for him to fall into the same stance within the time alloted was fun.
Thanks Again Stape!!

Steve said...

Since I've had the opportunity for three days to stand a few feet away from you while you painted, Stape, I have to say Garin's portrait really nails it, in ways large and small. He's captured the way you lean back slightly, and the way your brow furrows a bit. The look of concentration as the cigarette burns. His way of painting your glasses is a great example of the ideas Jim Gurney shared in a recent post. I love the economy of strokes he uses to get the planes of your face, and the colors on the jaw. Great painting.

James Gunter said...

Just in the interest of clarification, since I comment on this blog from time to time,the "Jim G." mentioned in G. Baker's comment is NOT me - I'm not worthy! *Bows repeatedly*

Actually I don't really think any clarification is needed. I just wanted to comment on how much I enjoy the portrait, and this blog! (And James Gurney's, too!) Thanks!

Stapleton Kearns said...

Mary;
Unbelievable ! That about says it.
...................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Deborah Paris;
I hope he didn't steal my soul.
...............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

billspaintingmn;
I am going to do a post on his mural designs.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Celeste Bergin;
I am politically incorrect.
.............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Doug Holder;
A grimace, yes.
..................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Kevin Mizner ;
I had several, but not at that moment.
............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

barbara b. land of boz;
The seascape is posted.
....................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Rae;
It IS good to be home. I have a whole studio full of work to finish.
..................Sttape

Stapleton Kearns said...

James Gurney;
I don't hold still much, it didn't seem to matter much.
....................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Ptolemy;
I AM the baby animal!
..............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

MCGuilmet;
The blogs and facebook are changing the world aren't they.
............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Stapeliad;
Yes it is,
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

G. Baker;
Thanks. I am sure we will meet again.Loved the portrait.
...................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Steve ;
He did catch that leaning back stance.
...........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Jim G.;
Thank you for all three of us!
.................Stape