Monday, April 18, 2011

Another stupid demo

Might as well show another demo. Here is a one shot n18 by 24. I painted this one with a huge cheapo brush from Michaels. As you can see above, I ghosted the image in very lightly to get my design. I wiped it out once already after about ten minutes of work, this is my second try.

I used burnt sienna and chromium oxide green to lay in the grass and the left hand reflection. Their is a little ocher in the babk at the left. This is all transparent, I don't want to touch the white too soon in the process.

I faked the sky, there was just too much empty blue up there. I felt I needed something going on rather than leaving so much of the canvas "undecorated". The clouds are ivory black, white, and a little cadmium yellow in the lights. I sketched them in first with white polluted with the sienna and chromium oxide green so the would have the same color cast as the rest of the painting. Then I painted the sky, cutting them in with cobalt blue and white. Then I dabbed some white and burnt sienna into the blues to vary them and cut the chroma.


Above is the painting as it looked when I quit for lunch. I will fool with this one just a little bit in the studio when I get home.


Here I am, painting the Rio Grande in 102 degree weather.

19 comments:

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Stape,
I believe you might think about letting your hair grow...while you still have it!
Great work, too.
Sincerely,
Gary

Mike Thompson said...

Chromium oxide green is about as opaque as it gets so when you say that you are working the early stages transparently, do you really mean without white but certain other opaques and semiopaques are OK?

billspaintingmn said...

Ya look like a happpy budddy!!

jeff said...

You know what they say about the noon day sun, mad dogs and Englishmen...

I have one of those fishing hats, they are great for Summer painting.
They keep the sun off your neck and the bugs as well. Mine has a longer brim than a baseball cap which is great for creating shade and getting rid of glare.

jeff said...

I just realized that was your hair.
Well it serves the same purpose, shade and keeping the bugs off your neck. I need new glasses...

R Yvonne Colclasure said...

Why would you call it a "stupid" demo? Maybe it's the heat. I love it when you show the process. Thank you.

willek said...

Looks like we all ought to run out and get some of those brushes!

Barbara Carr said...

Wow; I wouldn't have guessed that was the Rio Grande you were painting. I've never seen so much water in it! The painting has a nice serenity to it.

Knitting Out Loud said...

And looking pretty happy about it! Wow, 102? It's 40 here.

Marian Fortunati said...

HOT HOT HOT!!!

Loved reading about your steps. Thanks, Stape!

Stapleton Kearns said...

Gary;
Its actually a wig!
...............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Mike;
I used it so thinly that it functions as a transparent color, but you are right, I mean NO WHITE!
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

bill;
I am happy.
.......Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

jeff;
It does give that self employed look, doesn't it?
..................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

RYvonne;
Good! I was afraid that maybe I was showing too many of those.
..................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

willek;
It was a synthetic piece of junk.
.............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

barbara;
It is a wide spot near Boquillas, Mexico.
.................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Knit;
Tommorow I will post a picture of Gimli, son of Gloin himself!
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Marian F;
Thank you.
...............Stape